If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (623) 376-9779

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How To Avoid a Gas Fire in Your Home

12/26/2018 (Permalink)

Firefighters are trained when it comes to gas leaks

How To Avoid a Gas Fire in Your Home

A gas fire in your home in Weedville, AZ, can cause a devastating amount of damage, and fixing the damage can be costly and time-consuming. However, several measures can help you prevent this type of fire from occurring in your home.

1. Be Aware of the Odor

Gas leaks can cause a gas explosion or fire, but there are often signs of an issue before the fire starts. A common sign of a natural gas leak is an unpleasant rotten-egg odor that has no apparent source in your home. Sometimes, a whistling noise can be heard if there is a gas leak. The sooner you are aware of a potential gas leak, the sooner you can act to prevent a fire.

2. Turn Appliances, Lights and Gas Meter Off

If you have reason to believe there is a gas leak in your home, it can be helpful to turn off appliances and lights. Turning off all of your appliances and turning off lights can help to prevent a spark, which could, in turn, cause a gas fire. Additionally, if you know where your gas meter is located, turning it off can keep more gas from entering the home.

3. Call Emergency Services

Once you have become aware of a potential leak and have turned off your appliances, it’s often best to exit your home and advise others in your home to do the same. When you are outside, it’s generally wise to call for emergency services to come to your home. Firefighters and other emergency service workers are trained and know what to look for when it comes to gas leaks, and they can often help to prevent a fire from occurring.

Understanding the causes and signs of a gas leak can help you prevent a gas fire or a gas explosion in your home. If your home has sustained fire damage, consider contacting fire damage restoration professionals who can help restore your home.

Other News

View Recent Posts