Immediate Response Can Reduce Water Damage Exposure
When you have water damage to your building in Peoria, AZ, you need to act fast, but you need your actions to count. Here are important steps to take when you are cleaning up from a flood.
1. Call an expert. Commercial water damage restoration specialists have the expertise and knowledge to get you through the cleanup and recovery process. Since time is so critical, call them before you do anything else.
2. Make sure it’s safe. While you are waiting for help to arrive, you can begin cleanup. Before you do, make sure it is safe. Turn off electricity before entering a flood water area, and don’t use lights or appliances that have been in contact with water. If flooding is caused by black water, protect your body from direct contact.
3. Start removing water. Grab mops, sponges and rags to start the water cleanup process while you wait for the professionals to arrive.
4. Protect key documents. Make sure your most important documents are removed from ground level to reduce exposure to water.
5. Protect furniture. Wooden furniture is porous and absorbent and needs to be set up on blocks or foil so that it doesn’t remain in contact with a soggy floor.
6. Remove carpet and rugs. Experts will help you decide if rugs and carpets can be saved, but removing them will increase your chances. If you can put them outside to dry, go ahead and start that.
7. Gather personal belongings. Picking up personal items from the floor will help make sure the room is ready for the experts to use their commercial pumps and water removers to minimize water damage.
Restoration experts will do all these, but you can increase your chances of saving items by taking action while you wait.
Fast Action Makes a Difference
Broken pipes can wreak havoc in your building, but you can help reduce your losses by having a plan in place to contact professional help and to start cleanup immediately.