Fighting Hidden Mold in a Restaurant
Mold is a tiny, almost invisible fungus that can spread quickly in a restaurant when moisture and food are available. If purchasing a large number of fresh food items in Peoria, AZ remember to check for spoilage. Also, remember that spores are so small the fresh produce may already contain mold before they enter the restaurant. Once the fresh food arrives at your business, the mold growth may appear within days and send spores out to damage nearby walls, floors, and other food items. To prevent mold infestation in a restaurant, try these simple tips:
1. Check food every two or three days to ensure it is fresh. If an item has mold, remove it right away. Try to purchase produce that will be used within three to four days.
2. Keep the inside of the refrigerator clean. The inside of a fridge is dark and moist and is often a perfect breeding ground for some types of fungi.
3. If a sponge or towel smells musty, replace it. A musty smell often signals mildew, yeast, or mold, so stop using it immediately to prevent mold growth.
4. Keep humidity levels in the restaurant between 35 and 50 percent. Mold needs moisture to thrive, so remove high humidity to limit growth.
5. Wash and dry wooden kitchen tools well between uses. Wooden tools can absorb water and can stay wet for a long time. Couple that with the fact mold loves to eat wood and it can become a problem. Dry wooden tools in the sunlight, if possible to speed water removal.
6. If water damage occurs, clean and sanitize the area thoroughly. Mold can quickly form colonies on wet overlooked areas.
If mold growth repeatedly appears in the building, consider seeking professional guidance from a qualified mold removal company. Fungus can be a notoriously determined foe, but it does not have to be a fatal flaw that ruins the business. Visit http://www.SERVPROpeoriawestglendale.com for more information on mold.